Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Q/A: Interview with Nicki Thiim - Audi factory driver


By Tarek Ramchani

Nicki Thiim is having a busy 2015. An Audi factory driver in GT racing, he is competing in the demanding ADAC GT Masters with C.ABT Racing. The Danish driver is also racing in FIA World Endurance Championship with Aston Martin Racing.

We recently had a chat with Nicki Thiim about his 2015 racing season and more.


This year you're competing with C.ABT Racing in ADAC GT Masters, how competitive is the German GT series?

GT3 is more competitive then ever. You see, factories are building new cars now and they are all pushing a lot.

The German series is one of the most competitive with many brands represented. What is hard for a driver in GT3 racing is the BOP (Balance of Performance). If you don't sit in the right car at the right moment you can do nothing.

There is also the ABS, it belongs to road cars and not on racing cars. It's the worst thing they have ever done. But again the cars are build for everyone.


You recentley competed in the Nürburgring 24 Hours with the new Audi R8 LMS, tell us more about your race.

Nürburgring is by far the toughest 24h race there around. especially for the cars and the mental stress of a driver to go out there every stint and keep the focus. not easy! But it's just a brilliant track. And form me personally it was an honor to get to drive the new R8 Monster there.

How different is the new Audi R8 LMS compared to the ultra model?

We came - we saw - we won. best thing Audi could do with a brand the car. To drive the car gives you more a feeling of pure racecar. Just an epic machinery.


You had a very successful debut in TCR International Series in Portugal with the Audi TT, tell us more about your weekend at Portimao.

It was sad for me personally at the begining. I had a deal with Audi that I finally could drive against my dad in Denmark. Then on Wednesday late evening I got the call that I had to go to Portugal next morning (to drive the Audi TT).

But the (TCR International Series) race weekend turned out mega for me. Just a lot of fun driving Touring Cars again after six years without FWD. There were a lot of contacts with other cars. It's real Touring Car style and I enjoyed it a lot.


You're racing in the FIA World Endurance Championship with Aston Martin Racing (Young Driver AMR) in GTE-Pro, tell us more about the competition there.

FIA WEC GTE-Pro is for me the best in the buisness, 100% factory teams and with some of the best GT drivers in the world. And I can't say it again, it's a PURE racing car with NO ABS!

It shows more the skill of a driver then with the other driving school stuff. It's just a mega HIGH level. It's an honor for me to drive for two biggest factories (Audi and Aston Martin).


What is you favourite racing circuit?

Not from this earth: Nordschleife
Regular track: Mugello

What are your targets in the near future?

Since I opened my eyes I have watched the DTM and this is where I will go.