Saturday, April 18, 2015

TT Cup: Sven Hannawald impressed by Audi Sport TT Cup


Audi Press Release

  • Former ski jumper tests racecar for Audi one-make cup
  • Wild card start in Audi Sport TT Cup premiere at Hockenheimring
Sven Hannawald looks forward to his next motorsport adventure. The former world-class ski jumper completed a test prior to racing in the Audi Sport TT Cup at the Audi test track in Neuburg. The 40-year old joins the grid as wild card starter when the Audi one-make cup makes its premiere at the Hockenheimring on the first weekend in May.

A look to the sky does not augur well when Sven Hannawald arrived in Neuburg an der Donau on Friday morning. It was pouring as the hobby racing driver prepared to face up to his next motorsport adventure. However, the clouds dispersed as Sepp Haider gave Hannawald his first instructions. The Sporting Director of Audi race experience explained the one-make cup version of the new Audi TT to the 18-time ski jumping World Cup winner.


“I started off cautiously, which is in my nature,” said Hannawald, who developed a good feeling for the racecar despite the difficult conditions. “The car lets you know if you’ve done something wrong, but you quickly get on top of the situation again.”

Hannawald used the test to prepare for the Audi Sport TT Cup premiere on the first May weekend. The enthusiastic racing driver will be one of six guest drivers to start at the Hockenheimring. “I fulfill a childhood dream with every lap I drive in a racecar,” says Hannawald, who started his first race ten years ago and since then has hardly ever missed an opportunity to pit himself against others on track. “I even bought my own kart to practice on,” says Hannawald.


It was clear to see from the grin on the former professional athlete’s face when he climbed out of the cockpit that the first laps in Audi’s production based GT racecar were great fun. “I would have loved to turn off the radio and keep on driving until the tank is empty,” he said with a grin. “The car is great fun. I’m convinced that the Audi Sport TT Cup is a perfect series for motorsport newcomers and amateurs like me.”

Hannawald has no special goals for his wild card start in the Audi Sport TT Cup. “Although I know the Hockenheimring like the back of my hand, it will only be a small advantage. I’m not looking to finish in any specific position. Even though I’m very much a perfectionist, the Olympic spirit ‘about taking part’ is what counts more for me when it comes to motorsport.” However, Hannawald does have one wish for the race weekend: “A dry track.”

Photo credit: Audi Media