Race of Champions Press Release
- Crowds at next month’s Race Of Champions in Barbados are in for a treat as rally great Stig Blomqvist returns to the track
- The 1984 World Rally Champion will get behind the wheel of the classic Audi S1 rally car for a demonstration run at the Bushy Park Circuit
- This 500bhp+ beast from rallying’s classic Group B era in the Eighties can go from 0-100kmh quicker than a modern-day Formula 1 car
- The demo will accompany ROC 2014’s action featuring greats from F1, Le Mans, MotoGP, IndyCar, NASCAR, World Rally, Rallycross and Touring Cars
- Tickets are now available via www.raceofchampions.com for ROC 2014, to be held at the Bushy Park Circuit in Barbados on December 13-14
An icon of rallying’s halcyon days of Group B machinery before the era was outlawed on safety grounds in 1986, this monster is made of Kevlar, has over 500bhp and can go from 0-100kmh in just 2.3 seconds, quicker even than a modern day F1 car.
Blomqvist successfully tamed these beasts, winning his home Swedish Rally a total of seven times and taking the 1984 world title for Audi. He went on to become a Race Of Champions great too, winning the second ever edition in 1989 at the Nürburgring where he defeated German ace Walter Röhrl to become Champion of Champions (see photo below). The Swede repeated the feat in Barcelona the following year and appeared in a record 15 straight Race Of Champions between 1998 and 2002.
Blomqvist Sr said: “I’ve always enjoyed the Race Of Champions – ever since its very first event in 1988 – and I’m delighted to be returning again next month. The Group B era was an amazing time for the World Rally Championship and the Audi Quattro S1 is one of its most outstanding cars. It still gives me a thrill to drive it these days and I look forward to sharing that excitement with the ROC crowd in Barbados.”
The Race Of Champions brings together the world’s greatest drivers from motor sport’s major disciplines – including Formula 1, MotoGP, Le Mans, NASCAR, IndyCar, World Rally, Rallycross, Touring Cars, V8 Supercar and the X-Games – and sets them free to battle head-to-head in identical machinery on a unique track with two parallel lanes linked by a crossover bridge. Over the course of the weekend there will be over 60 individual duels between some of the world’s best racers.
Tickets for ROC 2014 are available at www.bushyparkcircuitinc.com/roc-tickets. Sign up for all the latest updates at www.raceofchampions.com, Race Of Champions on Facebook or @raceofchampions and #ROCBarbados on Twitter.
Drivers already announced for the 2014 Race Of Champions:
Tom KRISTENSEN, nine-time Le Mans 24 Hours winner
Romain GROSJEAN, Lotus F1 Team driver, reigning ROC Champion of Champions
Ryan HUNTER-REAY, Indianapolis 500 winner 2014, IndyCar Champion 2012
Jamie WHINCUP, V8 Supercar Champion 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2009, 2008
Petter SOLBERG, FIA World Rallycross Champion 2014, FIA World Rally Champion 2003
Susie WOLFF, development driver for the Williams F1 team
Kurt BUSCH, NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Champion 2004
José-Maria LOPEZ, FIA World Touring Car Champion 2014
Esteban OCON, FIA European F3 Champion 2014
Mick DOOHAN, 500cc MotoGP World Champion 1998, 1997, 1996, 1995, 1994
Photo credit: Race of Champions