Monday, April 8, 2013

DTM: A word from ... Timo Scheider


Audi Press Release

Audi started the countdown to the season opener with its “DTM Warm-up 2013” at the end of the week. How did you like the event in Munich? 

I thought the evening was fantastic. It was something very special to introduce the drivers and teams at such an unusual venue. A great atmosphere developed in no time at all in H’ugo’s, the guests danced, laughed and had a lot of fun. I particularly liked that we brought many people much closer to the DTM and Audi during the evening. People that otherwise might not have been interested in motorsport. I met a lot of great people, who were well impressed and are now DTM fans.

The final joint pre-season tests begin at Hockenheim on Tuesday. What is your program?

Obviously, I can’t say too much, but our job list for the test days is very long. During the last test at Barcelona, we collected a lot of data and we will now build on the findings and make the next step. In addition, it is also a question of finding a rough, basic set-up for the first race at the beginning of May. We have less practice time during the course of a race weekend this year, which is why it’s even more important to arrive as well-sorted as possible.

At Hockenheim, you’ll be seen in a black racecar again. Just how much are you looking forward to your RS 5 DTM?

Perhaps it’s just superstition, but I won both my championship title with a black car. The color was also very successful afterwards – when I think about Gary Paffett or Bruno Spengler. I’m very excited about the new design, and think the fans are as well: the initial feedback after the unveiling during our presentation on Thursday was certainly very positive.

Exactly four weeks to go before the first race. How busy is your calendar beforehand?

This week I’ll be completely concentrated on the test at Hockenheim. You already notice that the start of the season is getting closer, as the tingling sensation in my stomach is getting stronger. Afterwards I go to Majorca for a week to a cycling training camp to hone my fitness a final time. I’ve just received the plan for it: it looks as if we’ll probably cycle around 900 kilometers.

Photo credit: Audi Media