Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Audi Reunion for Zugel, Lux, and Julian at Bathurst 12 Hour


DragonSpeed Press Release

This week sees the second stop on the DragonSpeed Classic Enduro Challenge world tour of GT3 endurance races, when the Bathurst 12 Hours reunites the driving squad which tasted American Le Mans Series success in 2011. Back then, Christian Zugel and DragonSpeed team principal Elton Julian helped Eric Lux to the LMPC class drivers title. Now the trio will take on the spectacular 4.0-mile Mount Panorama circuit, legendary home of Australia's Bathurst 1000 touring car race, in one of no less than seven Audi R8 LMS and LMS ultra GT3 entries in the 51-strong field.

"Yes, I announced my retirement last fall," Julian said, "but Bathurst has always been right there near the top of my bucket list and, along with the chance to drive with Christian and Eric again, that made the idea of a one-off comeback irresistible. We've also added Mark Scott from the 2011 LMPC program to our fantastic crew from Dubai, so with the management side in excellent hands I can concentrate on driving."


"I have high hopes after my run with DragonSpeed in Dubai," said Eric Lux. "The car was great there, and seeing how the Audis dominated Bathurst last year, I believe we can aim for the win this time. Elton's already brought the team to a very high level, and I'm also impressed with how strong a driver Christian has become. I'm sure our history together will help as we take on the challenge of this amazing track."

Christian Zugel said, "I feel very privileged to be driving at Bathurst with two of my former coaches, who over the years have not only become friends, but helped me to accomplish so much more in the sport than I could have ever hoped. The track and the chance to visit Australia make it even more special."

Photo credit: Endurance-Info